Looking Ahead: Linked Finance Pension Accounts
Posted by Alan Fagan on 31st August 2017
We have just completed testing our new pension accounts with the first users and now we are ready to make them available to a wider audience…
With new rates of 6% – 17.5% per annum, 24/7 online account access, complete control of your lending activity, and monthly repayments of principal & interest, it’s not difficult to see why Linked Finance is an attractive asset class for a growing number of investors.
Now, with our new Linked Finance Pension Accounts, you can make lending to Irish SMEs part of your planning for retirement. These accounts have been developed with some of Ireland’s leading pension trustee companies so that they meet the typical requirements associated with some of the most common self-managed pension products on the Irish market.
Who can open a Linked Finance pension account?
Anyone with one of the following self-managed pension arrangements already in place:
- Small Self-Administered Pension Scheme (SSAS)
- Personal Retirement Bond (PRB)
- Approved Minimum Retirement Fund (AmRF)
- Approved Retirement Fund (ARF)
Your pension product will need to be held with one of our participating trustee companies and you will need to confirm that you have received investment advice from a qualified financial advisor who is willing to act as investment manager.
How do pension accounts differ from standard Linked Finance accounts?
In order to benefit from the significant tax benefits associated with lending through a self-managed pension arrangement, there are certain requirements that need to be met. These Linked Finance Pension Accounts have been developed to satisfy those requirements and to make lending on Linked Finance an acceptable form of investment from your trustee’s perspective.
Pension Account Features & Requirements
Here is how pension accounts differ from standard Linked Finance accounts:
- Agents of your trustee company can access & view activity
- Agents of your trustee company can run reports on your activity
- A minimum first transfer of €20,000 is required
- A set up fee of €500 will be deducted from your first deposit
- Minimum bids of €500 apply to pension accounts
How to set up a Linked Finance pension account?
We have made the process as simple as possible but there are a few additional steps you will need to take when setting up a Linked Finance Pension Account:
- Check to see if your trustee company is working with us. You can use the drop-down menu on our online application.
- Complete the Pension Account online application. Select Account Type as ‘Pension Account’.
- Download and complete the Pension Account authorisation document.
- Have the document signed by your QFA, who agrees to act as investment manager, and return it directly to your trustees.
- Your trustees will approve your Linked Finance pension account & facilitate the first transfer.
Can I apply for a Linked Finance Pension Account?
If you are interested in creating a Linked Finance Pension Account consider these questions before getting in touch:
- Do you already have one of these self-administered pension arrangements in place; SSAS, PRB, AmRF or ARF?
- Is it administered by one of our participating trustee companies?
- Are you happy to make an initial deposit of €20,000, place minimum bids of €500 and pay the €500 set up fee?
If the answer to these three questions is ‘yes’ you can apply for a Linked Finance Pension Account here…
What if I don’t have an existing SSAS, PRB, ARF or AmRF in place?
If you would like a Linked Finance Pension Account but don’t have one of the necessary pension arrangements in place, you will need to set one up through your financial advisor and it will have to be with one of our participating trustee companies.
When you have an SSAS, PRB, ARF or AmRF set up with one of our participating trustees, you will be able to apply for a Linked Finance pension account.
What if I have an existing SSAS, PRB, ARF or AmRF in place but not with one of the participating trustee companies?
In this scenario, you have two options. You can speak to your trustee company about working with Linked Finance and ask them to contact us on 01 906 0300.
Alternatively, you can speak to your financial advisor about switching your existing arrangement to one of our participating trustee companies.
Topics: P2P Lending